All,
I did a cycling big day on 21 May 2016, a week after everyone around the globe
did big days. I had a lot of reasons for delaying a week. I started at
Chatfield SP way before dawn and was mostly in Jefferson and Douglas Cos with
some time in Arapahoe. Anyway, I had a fairly solid plan, some birds were
scouted out, and all the logistics were worked out (food, drinks, bikes, etc).
I didn't find any super rare birds, but all things considered, i.e. first
pretty warm day and 15-20 mph winds from 10:30 am or so, I did extremely well.

First a HUGE thanks to David Suddjian who gave me tons of ideas and pointers on
how to approach this and where to find certain species.  AND thanks to Joey
Kellner who encouraged me to start insanely early, helped justify my route, and
gave me ideas on where to go as well.

Here's the Good, the Bad, and the Windy:
I started at Chatfield SP at 3am. Before I rolled out, I had Great Horned Owl,
Gray Catbird, Canada Goose, and Eastern Phoebe on her nest.

At 3:15, I started biking UP Deer Creek Canyon. Numerous Common Poorwills
calling up the canyon, a few catbirds and chats heard over a steady headwind. S
Valley Park has pretty easy Sora and Virginia Rails right now, and I had Sora
calling while riding up the hill to the marsh. The Virginia took about 3
seconds to get. No nighthawk, but they are more crepuscular so I didn't really
expect one at 4am.

The full moon lit everything nicely and the 7ish mile climb to my dawn spot on
High Grade Rd was surprisingly easy (that's relative!). Missed all owls at
stops on way up.

Dawn on High Grade Rd for an hour got me all the expected species and a couple
more, i.e. Wild Turkey (sort of expected thanks to a local homeowner who
eBirded them here several times). It was time well spent. On the way down I was
insanely cold, but I added Pygmy Nuthatch, not where I scouted them, Cord
Flycatcher, MacG Warbler and more. From my dawn spot down to S Deer Creek Rd, I
had at least 6 Ovenbirds. A dozen Virginia Warblers as well along the canyon. I
swung thru S Valley Park and then rode back up to Deer Creek Canyon Park, had 4
Cedar Waxwings flying downhill over the road (weird) and gobbled up all the
other expected birds but missed singing Savannah and Lincoln's sparrow that I
had the day before (missed both on the day!).

The Eastern Phoebe I found on Friday at Valley Rd and Deer Creek Canyon Rd was
still there singing, but I didn't stop. Western Scrubs Jay's were found, but
took way too long. I was coming down Cougar Rd and saw a raptor over the
hogback with the swifts. Fast stop and look: Cooper's Hawk! Only one of the
day. Crazy spot while descending!

I wanted/needed to have 65-70 species by the time I got to Chatfield to keep on
track towards my species total goal and I was at 67! On track, for now.
Chatfield swim beach was AWESOME, not because I got my only Chipping Sparrow
but because Tom Behnfeld met me and brought me a couple breakfast sandwiches!!
Thanks Tom!!! Woods upstream of kingfisher bridge were not as birdy as day
before and I only added a couple species, but American Redstart was key.

Now it's 10:45 and hot and windy. I swapped to my offroad bike (I mentioned the
logistics were crazy). I strapped my tripod to a rack and put my scope in my
backpack. I cruised the trail west of the gravel pond and all the sparrows I
had a week ago were gone or hiding. One sparrow was flushed but left unknown.
Winds were crazy.

Managed ONE new species over the hour (Swainson's Hawk) and I was starting to
question my sanity. I saw what I later found out was Hugh Kingery's birding
group, and I didn't do playback for marsh wren at the small cattail area by the
Audubon center.

Losing hope at this point, I kept to plan thanks to a stomach full of Egg
McMuffin! Waterton Canyon was open (didn't plan on that!), so I decided to roll
up to where the Black Phoebe was last year. Nada, but I had an spirit lifting
Olive-sided Flycatcher perched on top of a dead shrub on top of a hill. Perfect
place for one. Stoked!!

I cruised up Waterton Rd to a marshy area by soccer fields that I wanted to
explore. Marsh Wren came attacking immediately to playback and vanished just as
fast. Got my FIRST E. Collared-Dove too (can't miss those birds).

I rolled up the Highline canal past Platte Canyon Res and missed most
everything I had last week. So windy. Scored Golden Eagle, a male Blue Grosbeak
flew in front of me, and the seemingly ever present Brewer's Blackbirds were on
Titan Rd by Roxborough Park Rd.

I went back towards Chatfield and got Horned Lark, House Sparrow (!) and
stopped for about 5 sec and saw one Burrowing Owl at the SE entrance to
Chatfield. I don't really enjoy not stopping, watching, and enjoying the birds,
but I had a crazy mission to continue. Tick and roll.

Plum Creek dead end road was unproductive other than Vesper Sparrow and a flat
tire. I got a double flat here last week. What's the deal? On way to the
marina, a Loggerhead shrike was an awesome surprise! Missed E Kingbird and
grasshopper sparrow (missed the latter on Friday as well but one was there a
week ago), but I'll take a shrike.

The lake was windy, choppy and covered with boaters. Missed most everything I
had the day before. Eared Grebe and Ring-billed Gull were species 100 and 101,
but I thought I was at 99 species.

Back to the car, hot, and getting dejected. Stuck at 99 species, I thought. I
hadn't checked off all the birds I had seen/heard and didn't know it until that
night! I got Rock Wren at the dam for apparent #100, and I celebrated like it
was #100. I continued over the dam and up the Platte river greenway hoping to
find something new. I may have quit early if I knew I was at 102 already. Good
milestone for the conditions.

Couldn't find a wood duck to save my life, but nailed a Belted Kingfisher at
430pm. How'd I miss it this long? It was also my first kingfisher ever on a big
day. This is my 5th big day: 2nd bike and I've done 3 fossil fuel driven.

I was beat and got home at 5pm where the reliable Bushtits put in an appearance
while I relaxed in the yard. Species 104. I was done. 14 hours, 75 miles of
riding, and a couple miles of hiking. I later had to go get my car. I couldn't
physically make it back the 6 miles or so to Chatfield in that wind and
exhaustion and my wife and daughter wanted me to stay home anyway.

In the end, 104 is pretty good considering the conditions. I can't complain too
much but that route could get many more species.  I missed a bunch of birds, as
you do on a big day, but especially a cycling big day since you can't get
anywhere fast.

Biggest misses were shorebirds (little habitat), White-crowned sparrow and most
other sparrows, other owls (need to start earlier and scout more), bald eagle,
snowy egret, BC night-heron, and some waterfowl that are around. But I got some
birds on my "lucky" list. All part of the game.

***And a kicker, on Sunday night, 3 adult Black-crowned Night-Herons flew over
my house in Littleton about 8pm! Where were they Saturday?! That's birding.

Can't wait to do this again sometime! If you got this far, thanks for reading!

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe
Littleton CO