Hi all -

Today Jeff and I hiked to Bluebird Lake in RMNP.  We passed by Calypso
Cascades, the location of the Stub-tailed Wren (STWR) as reported by Steve
Mlodinow approximately 10 days ago and heard it singing at about 7am this
morning.  I had a brief glimpse - not enough to give me many details on the
bird beyond it being a STWR, but managed to capture audio before the bird
went silent and disappeared.

Not holding out much hope as we returned from our trek in the afternoon, I
listened carefully as I crossed the bridge at the cascades and turned
downhill.  Almost immediately, I could hear the STWR singing intermittently
close to the trail.  I gathered more audio and managed to capture some
adequate pictures with our 135mm lens.

Once home, I cleaned up the audio (noise reduction and amplification) and
attached the audio and a couple of pictures to my two eBird reports below:

Initial feedback seems to support Pacific Wren which was found in the same
location last year.

I would welcome feedback from our state's audio experts (Nathan, Ted, Tony,
Steve, etc).  I can attest that after examining pictures of Winter Wren
from the east coast and comparing them with Pacific Wren pictures from the
west coast, that photographic evidence is not enough to separate these
species alone.

As a warning to any interested chasers, this bird is sketchy at best.

I hiked past Calypso Cascades on June 22nd and stopped to listen (in both
directions) as I wondered if last year's PAWR might return.  Nothing.  I
believe Steve heard the bird on the 24th.

This past Tuesday, I hiked with my brother and nephew to Ouzel Falls and
stopped to listen again, in both directions.  Nothing.

Good birding,

Kathy Mihm Dunning
Denver