That is very interesting that you posed the question about the sage thrasher at
high altitude.   Today, I saw a Sage Thrasher in my neighborhood at near 8700'
elevation, north of Nederland in Boulder County.  I ran for my camera as I
thought no one would believe this.  I was shocked myself.
However, I checked the species on ebirds, and see it reported in some high
altitude areas:  Niwot Ridge, Rainbow Lakes, and Brainard lakes in Boulder
County were a few of those listed.
So, I guess its not as usual as I thought.  (Maybe unusual, but not unheard
of... : )

Thanks for raising the question.

Maureen Blackford
Boulder County