Hello all -

I visited Valmont Reservoir again today, determined to get a better look at
the loon(s) that are out there right now.  I got good looks at the first
one, this one is definitely a Common Loon.  The second one was farther out,
it took awhile to get any decent looks through the scope.  Once the wind
died down, and after careful examination of this bird, I am 95% convinced
that it is a Pacific Loon.  It has a straighter line between the white and
the dark on the neck, the forehead slopes up in a gentler fashion than the
COLO, and no white was observed around the eye.  It didn't have a dark
necklace, but there was some grey streaking on the top of the neck right
under the chin.  The bill appeared a little bit smaller than the one on the
COLO.  So, yes, it appears that there is a PALO hanging around in Boulder
County.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KG7JWKI9wcs/WESNRrvQNOI/AAAAAAAAAEI/PRrQhX61-kAXgFZIBhOkDt6EqQXC22RTQCLcB/s1600/Red-Necked%2BGrebe.jpg>
As a bonus, I was watching a bunch of grebes, several Eared and many
Pied-Billed, when something caught my eye.  It was another grebe, but had a
longer bill that was yellow underneath and black on top.  There was a patch
of white on the side of the head, towards the back, and definite red
coloring on the side of the neck.  I watched it for about ten minutes and
tried to get a couple of pictures before it swam out of sight behind the
trees along the shore.  Based on observation notes and a careful look at
Sibley, this one is a Red-Necked Grebe.  Poor quality photo attached.

Lots of Mergansers and Coot, with some Goldeneye and other miscellaneous
birds thrown in.  A Northern Harrier and a Sharp-Shinned Hawk were a nice
sight, as well.

Good Birding -

Jeff Parks
Boulder, CO