I also suggested the following to Ira and Tammy:

On your sad story, have you thought of switching to thistle feeders that use
screening instead of the metal ones?  That is what I have always used and the
finches cling to them and move around with no problems.  I had never seen metal
ones with holes until I came to your house last winter.  Your poor little guy
will probably do ok just missing 1 toe if he didn’t get too weak from no food
or water for too long.

Hang in there.  You are saving LOTS of birds with all your habitat and food!

Kay

Kayleen A. Niyo, Ph.D.

Niyo Scientific Communications

5651 Garnet St.