From: cobirds@googlegroups.com [mailto:cobirds@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Duane Nelson
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 4:41 PM
To: cobirds@googlegroups.com
Subject: [cobirds] Purple Sandpiper viewing ethics

Birders,

I hate to bring this up, but I know I'm not the only person thinking this.
Every day, people seem to be edging closer and closer to the Purple Sandpiper
at Lake Dillon. I think the welfare of this bird should come before the "money
shot" photograph. We should all feel fortunate just to witness this special
visitor. We, as birders, are under the scrutiny of a much larger audience, and
I want us to surpass expectations for our exemplary behavior. I beg that people
stand back, let the bird forage with a little space, and remain here as long as
it chooses. If it's flushed, where else can it go?

I know a little about allowing people to observe rare birds from an appropriate
distance and for an appropriate duration. I don't know what I can do about the
Purple Sandpiper, but I'm thinking I'd better consider the implications of
reporting mega rarities in my neck of the woods.

Respectfully,

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, Bent County, CO