Regarding eBird flags, I will play Devils Advocate. Tripping the filter does
not imply "rejection"  (Derek's word) or dislike (Dave's word) on the part of
eBird. Flagged observations are almost certainly welcomed by the eBird team as
these unusual observations represent NEW knowledge about bird populations, and
eBird is all about characterizing bird populations. Observations that are not
flagged add little to current knowledge (but are nonetheless valuable). When I
go birding, I like to trip the eBird filters because I know these flagged
observations are contributing to NEW knowledge of bird populations.

EBird is improving with time. I'm glad the filter caught the early Turkey
Vulture. Surely Dave's comment in response to the flag will convince the local
reviewer to accept this noteworthy observation. If Derek also eBirded his early
tV observation, and if others did as well, and these early reports prove to be
more than an anomaly, the filters will eventually be altered to reflect the new
reality.

However, as Dave points out, the real anomaly -the misplaced Marsh Wren- was
missed by eBird as being unusual. This is because the man-made filters are by
necessity regional, referring to an entire County, or part of a county.
Eventually, I believe that eBird will be able to convert to site-specific
computer-generated filters. If a filter is tripped when an observation is rare
(say, with 5% probability or less), and there are 100 checklists submitted per
week for a site (roughly 5000 checklists total), then there would be enough
data for the computer to determine which observations are unusual for each
week. Currently, Grandview Cemetery has 635 checklists.

So the moral of the story is this: if you don't like the man made filters in
eBird, submit more complete checklists to eBird. If we all did this, we could
convert to an unbiased computer-generated filter system sooner rather than
later.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO

Sent from my iPhone