I got here late afternoon on the 15th, went to Cheyenne Bottoms/Quivera for
three days 18th-20th (gorgeous landscapes, birding was so-so) and have the
following report from the mythical "Lamar CBC circle":

First off, it sounds like spring has been more exciting west of here than here.
 In my experience Lamar is usually about 7-10 days ahead of my hometown of Fort
Collins during spring migration.  Does NOT seem that way this year.  Perhaps it
has been too hot and dry here for too long for migrants starting further south
to dare to come this way.  Who knows?

Since the 15th, I have seen 103 species.  In itself, that sounds like a decent
number but rarities have been virtually non-existent.  On my way down, 2
Long-billed Curlews flew over the Eads Cemetery.  Briefly on the evening of
4/15, a male Black-chinned Hummingbird visited a private feeder e of Willow
Creek Park in Lamar and has not been seen since.  Today, a female BcHummer
visited the same feeder one time.  A Northern Parula fueled up in a private
yard south of Lamar for a few days, where I saw it on 4/17.  On 4/17 two
American Bitterns stood within a few feet of each other in the cattails at
Thurston Reservoir north of Lamar.  A Red-breasted Nuthatch comes daily to a
feeder e of Willow Creek Park and may well nest out on the southeastern plains
as they occasionally do.  First Western Kingbird for me this year, carefully
scrutinized for the possibility of being one of the other yellow kingbirds, was
along Memorial Drive in Lamar on 4/16.  I have seen two others in the last
couple days.  On 4/22 ne of downtown along SR196 and CR13 were interesting
birds in flooded fields including 1 Marbled Godwit, 5 Willets, 1 Greater
Yellowlegs, 7 Wood Ducks.  Nearby was a Peregrine Falcon.  A Barn Owl with an
apparent chick is under a major road bridge nw of downtown.  Lastly, an
immature Hooded Merganser was unexpected in an irrigation ditch w of Thurston
Reservoir.  It consumed a crayfish.  That's it folks!  How's that for
lackluster?  Very few Yellow-rumped Warblers, a few Orange-crowns, 3 Wilson's
(which is more than I usually see during spring).  Zero other warblers.  Zero
vireos.  One bunting heard.  Zero grosbeaks, orioles or tanagers.  Zero
thrushes.  Very few Lincoln's Sparrows.  Very few swallows.  LCC has its normal
compliment of cardinals and Brown Thrashers.  No Red-bellied Woodpeckers or
Red-headed, at least that I have detected.  Zero Lark Buntings.  Zero
flycatchers other than the aforementioned W. Kingbirds and a few Say's Phoebes.
 Ibis starting to show up.  Hot and windy today.  Same predicted for tomorrow.
Yuck.  I go home Tuesday when it is supposed to rain.  Hopefully things will
start to happen then during prime time when the Front Range groups typically
come to this area.

As for insect phenomena, major influx of Painted Ladies blew in from the
Southwest early in my visit.  Large numbers of Red Admirals and White-lined
Sphinx moths out and about.  Found the first Jerusalem Cricket in my life on
4/16 (ironically Easter!).

I have not been to Two Buttes (Baca), the canyons south of here (Baca) or
Melody Tempel Grove (Bent).  Yesterday the Lake Hasty area (Bent) was
distinctly lackluster for the date and location.

Southeastern CO is always awesome and perhaps I am guilty of possessing a jaded
filter.  It's just that we wait for this time of year and when the stars don't
exactly align, it feels disappointing.  Birding is not like going to the zoo
and we must accept its inherent unpredictability.  I am not complaining (too
much).

Dave Leatherman

Fort Collins