It was hard to get work done yesterday (8/16) from home, as my backyard was
filled with birds. The day started, over breakfast, with two hummers
chasing each other around my patio feeder, as my wife, dog,  and I watched.
I couldn't identify either then, but later sightings showed them to be a
Calliope & Broad-tailed. Elsewhere in the yard, flocks of Black-capped
Chickadees and House Finches (about a half dozen each) visited my suet and
platform feeders. A family(?) of Chipping Sparrows fed, all day, in my weed
gardens (wild arugula, purslane, and pigweed); I suspect this means the
weeds have gone to seed. Two Downy Woodpeckers & two Red-breasted
Nuthatches also stopped by.

Later, around 10:30, a flock of about 17 Bushtits moved in, foraging among
my two Honey Locust trees and my suet. Usually, the flocks of Bushtits come
& go, moving yard to yard through my neighborhood. These birds stayed the
day & into this morning, raiding the suet & honey locust every few hours.
The flocks of chickadees, House Finches, Chipping Sparrows were still
around. A family of Spotted Towhees also came out to forage, as did one
House Wren. A White-breasted Nuthatch called from nearby. And a Blue Jay
made sporadic visits to my platform feeder. The tanager seemed gone. But a
Western Wood Pewee had arrived, flycatching with fairly long flights
through my yard.

Both the breakfast and 10:30 watches ended with a Cooper's Hawk buzzing the
yard.

Still later in the afternoon, I thought I saw a Northern Flicker with
fairly yellow underwings. While I've seen integrades up in Denver, I
haven't yet spotted any in around Arapahoe Co. So I followed this flicker
into one of the honey locust trees, looking for it from beneath the trees
branches. Instead, I was entertained by the Broad-tailed, which flew around
the underside of the tree, indifferent to me. It came within arm's length
at one point, close enough for me to watch it move its legs as it
maneuvered in flight. While watching that bird, I lost the flicker, but
found one -- seemingly red-shafted -- with a red mustache and just traces
of red on its nape. While watching *that* bird, there was a commotion on
the other side of my yard and I turned in time to see an enormous-seeming
Red-tailed Hawk crash / dive into my row of sunflowers. It missed whatever
it was after.

All in all, about 25 birds in the yard yesterday, plus an unidentified gull
around sunset -- probably a Ring-billed, which seem to have begun returning
to parking lots in the areas -- and a blackbird flyover, heard but not
seen.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO