I thought I'd follow up on my earlier post about the jaeger (more on him/her in
minute) with a summary of our outing. I had my monthly museum group out at Barr
Lake today, and it was a quite productive day. We started by harrassing the
inimitable Meredith McB at the banding station, where she retaliated with a
fusillade of Wilson's warblers, intimidating us into a quick retreat. But we'd
be back.
Next stop was a walk down to the Pioneer Trail blind, where a cooperative
peregrine falcon posed on a snag for us. A quick scope scan of the lake
revealed hundreds of western grebes, and with a little imagination we converted
a few of them into Clark's. That's our story, and we're stickin' to it....We
had good numbers of orange-crowned, yellow-rumped and Wilson's warblers.
However, my entry of eight orange-crowns was roundly rebuked by eBird, and it
didn't like my western wood-pewee either, which kind of hurt my feelings. But I
persisted, and Mr. eBird relented. We then slunk back to the banding station,
where Meredith cut us some slack, as well as a couple of good birds. A nice
Hammond's flycatcher (a small individual with some characteristics overlapping
with least) emerged from a bag, followed by a hermit thrush. Then came a
mystery sparrow, which after some discussion we agreed to call a Lincoln's, and
a sorry one indeed. The poor bird looked like it had been in bar fight and lost.
Elbowed aside by the sixth or seventh busload of grade-schoolers (Meredith, how
do you do it?), we set out for the lake, where out by the island was a sizable
flock of gulls that we could no longer ignore with good conscience. The group
proved to consist of 100+ Californias, with a smattering of ringers, Franklins
and a herring or two. Some searching turned up a Sabine's lurking behind a
ponderous Cal, followed by another fly-by Sabine's.
Next up was the Neidrach Trail and boardwalk. Things initially didn't look too
promising, but we did pick up a couple of eared grebes and a few assorted
ducks. A couple of birds lurking on the distant grassy beach yielded several
mis-identifications until we finally decided to trek down the trail for a
closer look. They quickly proved to be plovers, and finally, two American
golden-plovers. Other than a couple of killdeer, they were the only shorebirds
we saw all day. by this time I was beginning to feel like a certified eBird
reject.
We closed things out with a jaeger sp that was coursing back and forth across
the lake to the northeast. After following it with binos at considerable
distance for a minute, we thought we saw it settle on the water far down the
lake, closer to the dam. So, we hoofed it back to the parking lot and headed
down to the boat launch to see if we could refind the bird. We could not. I
will be interest to see if it reappears. While we were walking/driving down to
the launch, the bird had plenty of time to relocate. Our consolation prize was
a couple more Sabine's, which may or may not have been the same two we had seen
to the west earlier.
Please post if you 1) relocate the jeager and 2) have any idea which species it
is.

Norm Lewis
Lakewood, CO