I had a co-worker who started birding earlier this year over to my west
Centennial (Arapahoe) yard this morning (10/4). We were to stake out the
Golden-crowned Sparrow in advance of a few other visits from birders later
today. That bird never showed; perhaps with the dry weather overnight, it
was able to up and leave. (I'll keep watching for it, of course.) But it
was a birdy morning nonetheless. A Green-tailed Towhee (lifer for my
visitor) provided good views all morning, foraging alongside a Spotted. A
Western Tanager made a brief visit, fetching what looked like a butterfly
from a tree across my yard. (Looked more like a skipper than a Painted
Lady, but it wasn't much of a view.) A Ruby-crowned Kinglet -- my first in
the yard this fall & a lifer for my guest -- made a brief visit. We also
had a pair of Mourning Doves, my first in my yard since early-September.
And a Red-breasted Nuthatch visited my feeders.

After my guest left, the yard came alive. An Orange-crowned Warbler moved
through. Two Red-breasted Nuthatches joined the first; one made what
sounded like hissing scolds at the others. A Broad-tailed Hummer made a
brief visit to my feeders; I haven't, though, seen the Black-chinned today.
And a lone Turkey Vulture passed over, headed southish. There were also
plenty of Painted Ladies -- 20-30 in my back yard and even more up front.
This is the most I've had of them this fall.

Elsewhere, I had my first neighborhood junco this morning, while walking my
dog near Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO