After hearing flocks of Sandhills moving south all morning long during our
banding session at Chico Basin Ranch, I decided to do a bit of a "Crane
Watch" in the afternoon. Between 3 and 4 pm I tallied 1236 birds moving
south in 6 - 8 groups. Most were in the 100 - 150 bird range, with one or
two pushing 250 individuals. Things tapered off pretty quickly after 3:30
or so, and I think I only heard one or two more flocks the rest of the day.
This was the first day that we've seen any major movements. Furthermore,
visiting birders reported significant raptor movement with Swainson's,
Red-tailed, Cooper's, and Broad-winged Hawks moving south. On my watch, I
also had ~50 Turkey Vultures on the move. Should be interesting to see what
movement tomorrow brings.

Good Birding,
Aaron Yappert