Greetings All

After my original plans for yesterday were scotched, I decided to start my day
at John Martin
Which was shrouded in dense, cold fog. I tried a bit of land birding, with no
success, and the fog was still hanging around at 9:30. Hearing from Janeal
Thompson that there was some open water in Upper Queens and Neenoshe, I decided
to redirect.

There were thousands of geese at Upper Queens, and tens-of-thousands of geese
and thousands of ducks (vast majority Mallard) at Neenoshe. Neegronde also had
a couple spots of open water, filled with Mallards. Interestingly, the spots of
open water were not the deepest, most southerly or westerly or ... The open
water was the location farthest from human access. And I think that the
thousands of birds was likely what kept the water open. At sunset, the birds
started to fly off. To roost? No. Actually to feed in fields at a time safe
from hunters. There are so many surprises.

Anyway, the rarest birds were land birds.
Snow Bunting - on south shore of Upper Queens where there was a large expanse
of bare sand along the shore
Purple Finch - Neenoshe Locust Grove
Field Sparrow - adjacent to Neenoshe Locust Grove
Chipping Sparrow - along northwest shore of Upper Queens in scrub with dozens
of Am Tree Sparrows, WC Sparrows and juncos.

Beyond having some nice finds, it was fun to visit a spot with almost no
coverage -- to explore. We've been lucky to have a nice bunch of rarities to
visit this winter, and a fair bit of open water. But if you feel bored, find
some spot that no one has visited with interesting habitat, and check it out.
After all, that is how the RB Sapsucker and Pueblo WW Crossbill were found

Good Birding
Steve Mlodinow
Longmont CO