JoAnn,
The eBird hotspot named "Kinney Run Trail" is indeed an important birding
area in Golden,
with 96 species of birds seen there in the past few years, since records
have been kept.
This represents a great many sightings of individual birds and is a
reflection of the rich
avifauna of the area.
To close this to pedestrian traffic would be a shame from that point of
view.
However, safety first and if the hikers and birders are in danger from
speeding mountain bikes,
it might be reasonable. The other solution would be to close it to cyclists!

I would encourage birders to try this trail and submit checklists to eBird
before it's too late.

Please let me know if I can help in any way. Gerald Baines has been the
most active birder there
and knows the area well.
Thanks for your interest, JoAnn, on behalf of Evergreen Audubon.

Joe Roller, Denver
Volunteer eBird hotspot reviewer