Hey, everybody.

Okay, the tanager show has arrived at Greenlee Preserve, eastern Boulder
County. On this Sunday morning's Broomfield Bird Club outing in the cold
mist at the preserve and environs, we saw at least eight *western tanagers*
at and in the general vicinity of the feeders by the entrance to the
preserve. I went back later in the afternoon and saw more tanagers--and
lots of townsfolk. It's wonderful to see how so many people have heard
about these beautiful birds--and are going out to see the spectacle with
their own eyes. (Remember: Never look directly at a tanager, for doing so
can cause permanent retinal damage.)

Back to the bird club outing... It was cold out there, but the birding was
good. We heard a *northern waterthrush* and saw a *gray flycatcher* and a
*black-chinned
hummingbird.*

This afternoon, I had an errand in Boulder proper and stopped off at the
Bobolink Trail, which was hopping. Highlights were a *Tennessee warbler,* 2
*least
flycatchers,* and another *gray flycatcher.* At least 15 *western
wood-pewees.* Regarding the many *yellow-rumped warblers *(*n*=20+) out
there, I was surprised that all appeared to be either good Audubons or
intergrades; I didn't see anything I would have called a Myrtle.

Yuma County. Debbie Seiden and I spent much of yesterday, Sat., May 18, at
the Fox Ranch, where migration was practically non-existent until about
noon, when the weather changed and migrants started to appear. Heralded by
a refulgent adult male *western tanager,* natch. The only semi-notable
migrant was a *veery.* We saw the usual slug of *orchard orioles* (*n*=23),
*brown
thrashers,* and *Uncle Sam birds.* Also an *upland sandpiper, *a *Baltimore
oriole, *and an* eastern phoebe.*

The Fox Ranch dawn chorus--wait, the pre-dawn chorus, it was 4am--was
unforgettable. Imagine hearing surround-sound *greater prairie-chickens*
and *Cassin sparrows,* whilst *eastern screech-owls* and a *common poorwill*
were singing steadily. An amazing combo.

On the drive back from the ranch, Debbie and I stopped at Last Chance,
Washington County, where we saw a frenetic *northern waterthrush.*

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County