Even slower today, only 9 new birds.  (We also had 13 recaps.)  We had time
to speculate a bit about the reasons - Until this week, Wilson's Warblers
(our most frequently caught species and so the bird that has the biggest
impact on our overall totals) were coming through in typical fashion - lots
of hatch year birds first.  It is time for the adults to move through, but
that hasn't started to happen yet in any number.  As we endure what may be
the hottest September on record for the Denver area, perhaps the birds are
taking their time?

Here are the new birds:

Red-shafted Flicker 1
Western Wood-pewee 1
Hermit Thrush 1
Gray Catbird 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 2
Wilson's Warbler 1
Chipping Sparrow 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 1

We are open 6 days per week, Tuesday-Sunday, weather permitting, through
October 13. We are opening nets at 6:40 and should have birds back at the
station by 7:20. We will close nets most days at 11:40, although we are
closing earlier as needed due to the heat. School groups arrive most
weekdays at about 9:30. The best time to visit (fewest people, most birds)
is before 9:30 weekdays and Sundays.

Come visit!

Meredith McBurney
Bander, Barr Lake Station