I went up to Laramie today to try for the Red-flanked Bluetail around 1 pm. No
luck. While driving through the spot it was reported, I saw a couple of
birders. Asked them if they had any luck, they hadn't. I went to look for a
good parking spot. No luck on that. I am driving back through and I see police
talking to some people. Now I don't know this for sure, but I assumed one of
the neighbors was suspicious of all the people with binos and cameras and
called the police. Not wanting to be part of whatever was going on, and since
the bird was nowhere to be seen, I decided to accept my loss and head back
toward Colorado. I stopped at Turtle Rock on my way back to Colorado. Most
notable birds were eight Clark's Nutcrackers and a Golden crowned Kinglet. As
for the Red-flanked Bluetail, I think it was a one day wonder. Apparently the
Farralone Islands, California, had one on November 3rd. Probably not the same
bird. This may be wishful thinking, but maybe we should keep an eye out for one
here in Colorado for the next couple weeks!

Ben Sampson
CENTENNIAL, CO