From: Mary Kay Waddington <waddingto...@gmail.com>
Date: 3/27/20 08:21 (GMT-07:00)
To: Colorado Birds <cobirds@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [cobirds] Blind Finch, Arapahoe

Yesterday I noticed a female House Finch fluttering in a very strange manner --
it was almost stationary in the air with wings going back and forth for all the
world like it was emulating a hummingbird.  Then it would move 6 inches in the
air and continue its fluttering, move another 6 in.  Finally its wing brushed
against a twig and the bird managed to make an extremely awkward landing.
That's when I noticed that one eye was almost completely crusted over, and the
other one was cloudy looking and very red.  I really think it was almost
completely blind.  It cocked its head in all different directions -- listening
to other birds? and finally made another fluttering movement until it's wings
hit a different twig -- another awkward landing.   This was only a few feet
from my thistle feeder and I think it used its ears to know there were other
finches feeding there.  It finally fluttered towards the feeder, hit it, and
miraculously managed a landing on one of the perches.  Fed for quite a long
time before being frightened off - did its fluttery flight and didn't brush up
against any other twigs so ended up landing on the ground (although "landing"
is perhaps not exactly the right word.)

So then I started worrying that perhaps it had pox and was infecting my feeder
and other birds.  Every time I saw it on a branch it was frequently rubbing its
eyes against the branch -- probably spreading whatever it had.  So should I
catch it and do away with it?  Grim thoughts during our own human viral crisis!
 I'm sure I could have crept up on it and grabbed it.

About an hour later the Magpies alerted me that I should be looking out the
window -- A Cooper's Hawk was eating a female House finch.  Haven't seen the
blind bird since, so perhaps natural selection took its course.

Mary Kay Waddington

cobirds+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:cobirds+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CAA-Db7fd3FcRPWFX3yHj9gJfPJRz9xtZpbsYkTJnWGSOKVEsiA%40mail.gmail.com<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroups.google.com%2Fd%2Fmsgid%2Fcobirds%2FCAA-Db7fd3FcRPWFX3yHj9gJfPJRz9xtZpbsYkTJnWGSOKVEsiA%2540mail.gmail.com%3Futm_medium%3Demail%26utm_source%3Dfooter&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cd71f57ce7ddc43f90e1b08d7d25a1b3e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637209156747624340&sdata=fwQbLuKfDNK5zCSfZLchR9YWTJ1O65f8WN5OrIHbD8Q%3D&reserved=0>.