Birders,

This is decidedly not a rare bird posting. Rather, it's a hopeful post on the benefits of staying at home during a statewide stay-at-home order due to the coronavirus.

As I was sitting at my computer at my home in Las Animas (Bent County, CO), I heard the unmistakable song of a Canyon Wren, and rushed outside to see it. Those who have been to my home know that I'm not lucky enough to be surrounded by cliffs. I live in a 120 year-old house in a riparian-urban area far from any suitable Canyon Wren habitat.

Amazingly, this is the third Canyon Wren I've had here. My first was on September 3, 2000, my second was on August 11, 2016 (both presumed fall migrants). This report leads me to two conclusions:

1) Canyon Wrens are much more migratory than generally thought.

2) Being exiled at home during a mandatory stay-at-home order due to a pandemic doesn't mean that we should shut off ourselves to the possibility of exciting bird sightings.

Get out there (but not too far!)

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, Bent County, CO