A few migrants were passing over Horsetooth Mountain Park this morning
including two northern harriers and a merlin that were kettling and traveling
north. Also seen was a FOY vesper sparrow.
More interestingly, the red-breasted nuthatches that invaded here last winter
now appear to be breeding. I have seen several of these nuthatches going in and
out of cavity holes (mostly excavating) and singing from the treetops,
including in my own backyard. Not in 20 years of living here have I ever seen
red-breasted nuthatches nesting here in the lower foothills in the dry and open
ponderosa pine forest, although I recall they do nest in these types of forests
in the Black Hills.
Of other news, red crossbills appear to have wrapped up breeding and have
mostly moved on, although a few linger.  A nest I was monitoring fledged on
March 25.
Other recent arrivals include Broad-tailed Hummingbird and Says Phoebe.
Mountain Bluebirds have been coming through but unfortunately have nowhere to
nest since the county took down the nest boxes in the park.
Hope everyone is able to enjoy the birds near their home these days.
Arvind Panjabi5500’ on the north slope of Milner MountainLarimer Co.
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone