I’ve not had experience with that happening for owls in the 10 years I have
been monitoring raptor nests for CPW. However, I have seen something similar
with kestrels in a nest box behind my house in Pueblo West. About 6 years ago,
3 young kestrels fledged from the box, one every other day as usual, and 2
weeks later a 4th one popped out to join the other 3. Since we can’t see into
the box, there’s no way to know for sure that there was actually that much
difference in age, but the late one looked much less mature than her siblings,
with a few pinfeathers and a slightly shorter tail.

Cheers,
Margie Joy
Pueblo West, CO

Sent from my iPhone