I have that exact same question.  Also, I'm no ebird wizard, but I use it
to look up specific species and recent sightings, mostly when travelling.
But unless I know that a certain species has already been reported in a
certain county, how will I know?  If they're unexpected, I won't know to
expect to look for reports on them!

Examples:  The Fork-tailed in Boulder a couple of years ago; the
Golden-crowned out East, that same year; a shorebird at a wildlife area
I've never been to; a warbler that might not be a rarity, but might be a
life bird, and uncommon enough to make the report.

I think we're losing a lot, with the demise of the RBA.  I hope that,
unlike the CFO facebook page (which is largely photo-based, or
ID-help-request-based), that the Colorado Rare Bird Alert facebook page can
step in as a place we can all post more reports than photo albums, and
strictly about actually uncommon birds.  I don't know how ebird can replace
the RBA.

Dave Cameron
Denver