Today, Saturday the 11th, I thought I would check out the shorebirds
reported at Chatfield SP. I knew it was not the best day or the best time
(11:30 AM) but was not prepared for two lines of cars from the highway to
the gate house even with two people working outside to sell admissions. Nor
was I prepared for chock full parking lots from the swim beach all the way
around to the Plum Creek area. Nor for thousands of half naked people
swarming the whole reservoir (even paddle boards below the Herony Overlook;
I thought that was out of bounds for boating) and every water edge
including the Marina sandspit and near the Plum Creek Delta. We gave up and
left to find the Black Phoebe at Wingate Park (did!) and found that all
entrants were being turned away by 12:30. I hope this is a temporary
anomaly caused by hot weather and COVID cabin fever or the birds will have
no place to hide. The only good thing that can be said is that the State
Parks system must have taken in tens of thousands of dollars in admission
fees today.

Bob Shade
Lakewood