I concur with Tina Mitchell: Young black-headed grosbeaks in my neck of the
woods make the same calls when begging to be fed. It's a plaintive, descending
sound, often as a single note but usually followed by one or two quicker
ascending calls and resolving on that descending note. It's like a wolf
whistle, but sung sad with a one-note intro. Listen a few minutes, and the
telltale squeaky "chip" of an adult arriving usually follows.

I have been watching five or six juveniles in my backyard do this over the past
few weeks. Until Mike's recording, I hadn't heard this call  for the species on
various online guides.
John Ealy
Roxborough Park, Douglas County CO