Hi all,

Barr Lake was phenomenal this morning for migrants. I started off below the
dam, which had a Cassin's Vireo, Nashville Warbler, and early Brown Creeper
among the hordes of Wilson's Warblers. Also present were Hammond's, Dusky,
and Willow Flycatchers, Townsend's Warblers, and throngs of Wilson's
Warblers (I tallied 134 of them today).

I then went to boat launch to scan for gulls and terns. One of the first
birds I laid eyes on was a Neotropic Cormorant. It was between the boat
launch and the dam on a slender island. While looking at the cormorant
through my scope, a juvenile jaeger made several passes above the dam.
Given its robust flight and relatively large appearance, among other
things, I'm thinking Pomarine/Parisitic (leaning the former). Also in the
area was a nice flock of Stilt Sandpipers.

After this, I went to the nature center where the continuing Philadelphia
Vireo was providing great views. It was with a Warbling Vireo in the tall
deciduous trees at the entrance.

I then walked out onto the mudflat to search for Doug Faulkner's
Buff-breasted Sandpiper, and found it with a flock of Killdeer in the SE
corner of the lake. Other birds there included a diverse assortment of
waterfowl and a flock of 17 Red-necked Phalaropes. On the way back to the
parking lot, I saw a Pink-sided Junco among a mixed flock near the banding
station (apparently Colorado's first eBird record this fall).

Overall a great outing, although it was getting warm and smoky toward the
end.

Good Birding,
Jack Bushong,
Louisville, CO