Dear Colorado birders:

I recently received my copy of Colorado Birds with a cover photo of a gorgeous
male Rufous Hummingbird taken by John Rawinski! This will be the final issue of
the journal edited by Christy Payne, and I wanted to extend my gratitude to her
for all of her hard work! You may not know it, but just a few months after she
agreed to edit Colorado Birds in early 2018, Christy and her husband moved to
Michigan, where Christy has family, and in 2019 she gave birth to their son.
It's a tribute to her commitment to CFO that she was able to continue producing
the journal in the midst of so much change! The summer issue includes
information about the new Colorado Parks and Wildlife rules for accessing State
Wildlife Areas, a report from the CBRC, two articles dealing with American
Kestrel behavior and an insightful report from Scott Yanco on his research into
Flammulated Owl movements!

Christy will be succeeded by Peter Burke, who will take over as Managing Editor
of the journal. In this new role that he proposed to the CFO board of directors
earlier this year, Peter will recruit and lead an editorial team to produce the
journal beginning with the Fall 2020 issue. The board supports this new
approach, and we believe it will help to ensure that CFO continues to produce
one of the best regional birding journals in the country.

This news was first announced at the CFO annual meeting, which due to the
ongoing pandemic, was conducted virtually on July 25 using Zoom. For those of
you who missed the meeting, some other shifts in CFO leadership were announced.
Diana Beatty has agreed to step into the position of CFO Secretary, and Alison
Hilf will join the CFO board as a Director. In addition, Megan Jones Patterson,
who had been serving in a non-voting role as Volunteer Coordinator, has been
elevated to Director, and Joe Kipper has joined the board as Youth Ambassador.

Quarterly CFO field trips remain on hold due to Covid-19, however, we will host
quarterly Zoom meetings instead. The next scheduled meetings will be:
>>> Saturday 7 pm September 19 - Birding is Best in the Right Weather with
>>> Bryan Guarente
>>> Saturday 7 pm December 5 - Colorado Christmas Bird Counts

Nick Komar, Fort Collins
CFO President