Hi Cobirds,

I stopped by Baseline Reservoir in Boulder this morning to see if any
scoters or loons had blown in.  There were some biggish rafts of waterbirds
way offshore and hard to see clearly.  Lots of Aechmophorus grebes (50-75,
all of them that I could see well enough were Western), lots of Ruddy Ducks
(50-75), several smaller grebes (probably both Eared and Horned), and
various DC Cormorants, Common Mergansers, Canvasbacks, and Coots.

The real entertainment was the Ring-billed Gulls near the inflow along
Cherryvale.  Some were diving headfirst like terns from a few feet up in
the air, and fairly frequently coming up with crawdads.  One gull took off,
pursued by a few others, and appeared to be holding something in its feet.
This seemed odd to me since those webbed feet aren't really made for
grabbing.  Once I got the binocs on it, I saw that it was in fact a crawdad
doing the grabbing; it had latched onto the gull's belly with one pincher
and was getting the ride of its life.  After about a minute, the gull
landed back on the shoreline and managed to disengage the crawdad, which
flipped back into the water and disappeared.

Peter Ruprecht
Superior