The National Audubon Society (NAS) is leaving the decision to hold or not hold
a given Christmas Bird Count (CBC) to the individual count Compilers.  Should a
Compiler decide to hold a CBC, certain NAS guidelines are required to be
followed and Compilers are to follow and enforce all state and local
restrictions.  National Audubon also stated that should a Compiler decide to
cancel this year, “There will be little to no impact on the scientific value of
the Christmas Bird Count by missing a count season.”

I have requested and received input from my many (upwards of 50) Area and/or
DFO Leaders on the Denver CBC…these are the people that help coordinate the
~160 volunteers that execute the Denver CBC.  I have weighed their thoughts,
suggestions and concerns.

As the Compiler for the Denver CBC, I have made the decision to cancel this
year’s Denver CBC.

I would also feel terrible if someone ended up in the hospital (or worse yet,
in the hospital and on a ventilator) and missed the holidays with their loved
ones…when, per National Audubon above, it REALLY wasn’t necessary.

I encourage people to continue to report their winter sightings via eBird, we
just won’t be gathering, birding together and compiling sightings within the
15-mile diameter Denver CBC circle this year.

I hope you all understand and I sincerely hope everyone has a WONDERFUL holiday
season this year and that you will all remain healthy and safe and be able to
help with the Denver CBC next year. 😊

Thank you all for your support.

Joey.

Joey Kellner