Dave's post reminded me of an excellent book on this -- Bernd Heinrich's
*Winter
World: The Ingenuity of Animal Survival*. The book is largely written about
northeastern species, but briefly addresses our poorwill's torpor. Heinrich
makes a star of Maine's Golden-crowned Kinglets in the book.

Among the most memorable and darling cold weather behaviors of our metro
area birds has to be the lines of Bushtit that pack in together to stay
warm. I don't know if they're consistent with their poses -- but in most
lines (usually during cold, cold mornings) I see, the birds alternate: one
looking forward, one looking backward, one looking forward, etc. So it's
tail, head, tail, head facing you. Is it to keep an eye on all directions?
Balance? I have some photos of this, but the new Google groups interface
doesn't seem to allow embedded photos anymore...

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO