COBirders,
Has anyone seen the Larimer County Gyrfalcon lately? Last update I see is
from the day after Christmas so I thought I'd share.  This afternoon 5 Feb
2:45pm at a job site in SW Ft. Collins at the northeast corner of W. Drake
Rd & Overland was quite the bird. This is just below the S end of
Horsetooth Reservoir. At first glance coming head-on I took it to be just a
Red-tailed Hawk doing their rowing flight they often do to power on through
at low altitude. As it very quickly passed overhead the wingshape and
cadence quickly made it obvious this was no Buteo!  The absolute thickest
bodied, most massive falcon I've ever seen. It was so fast I didn't get
much of a study, but enough. No black armpits, pretty unremarkable pattern,
but the massive body and wide wings were astounding. The only other Gyr
I've seen was the Texas bird several years back, which never left its perch
during our observation. So, the first time seeing a Gyr in flight is
something else.
Good birding,
Derek Hill
Loveland, CO