Cobirders,
The northern portion of the state is in for some wild snow amounts
(depending on who you believe).  With this, we are looking at some very
nice swaths of southerly winds (example below):
https://earth.nullschool.net/#2021/03/13/0100Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-101.05,33.15,1638/loc=-105.000,40.000
(forecast
for 6pm tonight; green circle is around Boulder, CO).  That link should
also be about the time that we should expect migrants to be taking off from
Texas and further south.  For those of you who are radar enthusiasts for
bird tracking, check the radar
<https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=continental-conus-comp_radar-48-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined>
after dark in Texas to see if the birds are leaving as suggested.

On those winds, I expect to see some migrants push further northward as
this is one of those times where birds are starting to want to move north
and this IS a good opportunity despite the snow we will get this far
north.  This is a time to be efficient and cover some ground/sky.  I expect
to see increases and FOYs in:

   - Blue-winged Teals,
   - Eared and Horned Grebes (maybe the beginnings of Western Grebes),
   - yellowlegs (Greater) and Killdeer with maybe some early sandpipers,
   - Sandhill Cranes,
   - Bonaparte's and Franklin's Gulls,
   - Double-crested Cormorants,
   - Turkey Vultures and possibly the first migrant Osprey and/or
   Swainson's Hawks,
   - White-throated Swifts, Tree Swallows, and Barn Swallows
   - Say's Phoebes,
   - and Common Grackles.

If you want to see a really good swath of winds converging into a single
location, look no further than this map:
https://earth.nullschool.net/#2021/03/13/1500Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-101.05,33.15,1638/loc=-105.000,40.000
.
Looks like in the vicinity of Boulder, CO will be a nice hotspot tomorrow
morning.  As the day goes on the convergence into Boulder disperses and
more of the northern Urban corridor will get in on the action:
https://earth.nullschool.net/#2021/03/14/0100Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-101.05,33.15,1638/loc=-105.000,40.000
(5pm
Saturday)

I'll leave it here for now and see what others are able to find as the days
roll onward.  I am headed out here in a minute to get my binocs on some of
these migrants before the snow starts.  Best of luck out there.

Keep your feeders full, be careful shoveling (if you are the lucky ones who
are getting snow), keep your ears peeled for Sandhills in the snow, and
wear your masks,

Bryan

Bryan Guarente
Meteorologist/Instructional Designer