I stopped at Mann Reservoir at South Valley Park just after 3 pm. It had been
snowing for about half an hour with a breeze and I found a number of land birds
sheltering and foraging along the dam that forms the reservoir’s south side.
The low water level has left a broad strip of dirt exposed, was was still
mostly open during my visit. A number of birds were foraging on the open dirt
and in the nearby grasses and shrubs where there was more snow. Others were
sheltering in the few trees there.

Migrants included 4 Say’s Phoebes, 1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 1 Rock Wren, 1 Sage
Thrasher, 3 Western Bluebirds, 15 Mountain Bluebirds, 1 Hermit Thrush, 170
American Robins (feeding with intensity on a nearby grassy slope), 2 Am Pipits,
1 Cassins Finch, 4 Dark-eyed Juncos, 3 White-crowned Sparrows, 7 Vesper
Sparrows, 1 Savannah Sparrow, 6 Lincoln’s Sparrows, and 4 Yellow-rumped
Warblers. Almost none of these species were evident on my other brief visits
this week, when hardly any land birds were noted.

I returned just after 5 pm. About 5 inches had already accumulated, covering
everything. Only a few birds were in evidence now: Vespers, robins and
bluebirds only.

Back home it was great to see a Great Horned Owl fly through the snowing dusk,
landing alert atop a spruce out front. At about 30 min after sunset I heard the
calls of Western Bluebirds falling through the snow as they flew over my home.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO

Sent from my iPhone