Preston had photos of the Pipit Road curlews se of Longmont eating a type of
caterpillar.  I shared these with two of my entomology colleagues at CSU.  We
agree the curlews are getting “cutworms”.  This term applies to a number of
moths in the family Noctuidae.  By far the most likely species is Euxoa
auxiliaris, the infamous “miller moth”.  A wonderful recent program on this
insect by Dr. Whitney Cranshaw is available as a YouTube from the Fort Collins
Audubon Society website.  I covered this subject in the 1st “The Hungry Bird”
back in April 2010, archived on the CFO website by going to the “Colorado
Birds” section.

David Leatherman
Fort Collins

Sent from my iPhone