All,

For the last 24 hours approximately, a GORGEOUS adult male Kentucky Warbler
has been hanging out in a small irrigation ditch just north (30-75 yards)
of the Mountain Avenue and North Bryan Avenue intersection.  The ditch runs
parallel to North Bryan on it's west side. This bird was found by EJ Raynor
right behind his townhome.  I was wondering why he had not posted it here
but found out he is not part of this listserv.  I am posting on his
behalf.  Many people viewed the bird last evening and this morning before
it was flushed by some birders who decided to get into the ditch for better
photos earlier today.  This is what was relayed to me and other than
alerting COBirders who don't get regular Ebird alerts to it's presence, is
the purpose of this post.

This is why we can't have nice things, fellow birders!  This bird has been
through enough just to get here.  He's way off course having come from as
far away as Colombia.  This bird is far more important than you getting 5'
closer for a photo.  I say this because that ditch isn't more than 20'
wide.  The bird is never far away and has stayed remarkably constant in the
same spot.  Several of us last night stood right on the edge of the ditch
and got excellent photos.  Sometimes we birders get lucky and the birds
come in close on us.  I had a stunning male Summer Tanager land on my scope
at Rigden Reservoir the other day.  Awesome!   Let the birds do it, not the
other way around.  Please exercise caution and use discretion and don't
abuse the bird share.

I guess this is just the bi-annual COBirds reminder for all of us to be
better.  I certainly include myself in that.   Any further violations will
end viewing opportunities for this bird.

The bird did finally return this evening.  EJ is still cool with people
coming by as long as they stick to staying out of the ditch and not
engaging in behavior that would otherwise make this bird leave.  There are
several apartments here so please be courteous to the other residents.
They are aware and know about the bird.  There is plenty of parking on
Mountain Avenue (note: this location is just east of the entrance to
Grandview Cemetery).  Walk north on the west side of the ditch.  If you
have any other questions about access, EJ is good with people emailing
him.  His address is edwardray...@gmail.com.   He is taking part in the
CFO/Ebird big day tomorrow so responses may be delayed.

The bird has been observed eating an earthworm and Sawflies or their
larvae.  Dave Leatherman was collecting them and can certainly expound on
this if he so chooses.  I don't know enough about the insects and it's too
close to Grandview to invade his territory (wink wink) to say more than
that.

Thanks for reading and I hope everyone is enjoying this maddening and
exciting Spring Migration!

Bird is the word!

Josh Bruening
Fort Collins