Surveying the surroundings for places promising food or nesting sites?

A couple of years ago, I saw a pair of Canada geese landing on top of the
small area above the clock of the County Courthouse in downtown Boulder.
They loudly announced their presence, strutted around a bit and took off
again, evoking memories of Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

--
Willem van Vliet--
Professor Emeritus