Hey all,

I've seen some recent discussion regarding where to find Baird's Sparrows
here in Larimer County so I'd like to give you all some good directions on
where to find them as well as some info about what Bird Conservancy of the
Rockies <http://www.birdconservancy.org> is doing regarding Baird's
Sparrows in Colorado.
If you just want location information without the context, skip to the *bolded
sentences* below.

For the 7th year in a row, Baird's Sparrows have been found during the
breeding season at Soapstone Prairie Natural Area
<https://www.fcgov.com/naturalareas/finder/soapstone>, a City of Fort
Collins owned property north of Fort Collins
<https://goo.gl/maps/fNVuG5PzaTDFnZJp6>, along the border of Wyoming.  Bird
Conservancy has been able to a limited and varying amount of monitoring of
these birds each year, but along with our full survey of Soapstone in 2019,
we also heavily monitored them and searched for them at previously unknown
sites on Soapstone, as well as many locations on neighboring Meadow Springs
Ranch, owned by Fort Collins Utilities.  That year we discovered a new site
used by Baird's Sparrows, inaccessible to the public, and confirmed
breeding there.  We also confirmed breeding on Meadow Springs Ranch, also
inaccessible to the public.

We have not been able to monitor them as close since 2019, but have
opportunistically searched for them as part of some new research taking
place at Bird Conservancy related to migration of grassland birds.  We're
building out a large scale network of Motus Wildlife Tracking System
stations across the Great Plains and Chihuahuan Desert to study the
migratory and movement behaviors of declining grassland birds, including
the Baird's Sparrow.  See this link for more info about that:
https://www.birdconservancy.org/over-the-airwaves/.  Our first station we
installed was at Soapstone
<https://motus.org/data/receiverDeployment?id=6064>.  We have been
capturing birds at Soapstone (with all the proper permits and permissions,
of course, in 2020 and 2021.  We've also been targeting Grasshopper
Sparrows, Thick-billed Longspurs, and Lark Buntings.

On the 7th of July, after several visits with no detections, we heard our
first 2 Baird's Sparrows of the year while on a banding excursion to
Soapstone.  We were able to capture, band, and deploy a Motus tag on 1
Baird's Sparrow that day.  This took place at the traditional site where
people can view Baird's on Soapstone, the Jack Springs Ranch gate (just
south of point Z on this Soapstone map
<https://www.fcgov.com/naturalareas/pdf/soapstone-brochure16.pdf?1482338190>
).

*The "Jack Springs" site is accessible to the public* by bike, hike, or by
horseback, by taking the Pronghorn Loop Trail from the south parking lot.
Exact location is here: https://goo.gl/maps/xAo1pkM37reFH5Tc8. Birds are
typically far into a wet pasture east of the trail, but can be heard and
sometimes seen directly from the gate.  Use the specific Jack Springs eBird
hotspot <https://ebird.org/hotspot/L9438484> if you enter anything here!

Just over a week ago, we received word from City of Fort Collins biologists
doing butterfly surveys that there were 3 more Baird's Sparrows in a
different site.  Bird Conservancy biologists Erin Youngberg and Erin
Strasser(I was unable to go, unfortunately) went up on Friday (July 23) and
were able to capture, band, and tag the 3 Baird's Sparrows at that location.

*This site is currently accessible to the public* by bike, hike, or
horseback, along the Plover Trail (which is open now!  It's closed from
April to July 15).  The birds were able to be heard and sometimes seen from
the road itself, but were captured in a wet meadow south of the road, just
west of the Ranch Managers Home after the road jaunts a bit to the north
and continues west.  Exact location is here:
https://goo.gl/maps/jF5fanixKKhNSnmt5.  Please use the general "Soapstone
Prairie Natural Area" eBird hotspot <https://ebird.org/hotspot/L2990328> if
you enter anything here, and feel free to add comments about exact
locations.

AS ALWAYS, please respect all regulations and remain on trails despite the
urge to get a better photo by just stepping off trail a bit!  There is a
lot of sensitive and endangered vegetation at both of these sites, not to
mention the possibility that these birds are currently breeding!  In 2019,
we found a Baird's Sparrow nest well into August, so it's possible!

We will be doing another complete survey of the property in the coming
years, which could result in new sites that Baird's are using.  Each year
is different, and we still don't really know what they're doing or why
they're here (though we all have our own theories!)  Here's a publication
that Bird Conservancy biologists published in 2019 regarding Baird's
southward range extension:
https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ecy.2872.

If you are unsure of trail conditions or closures, check out the natural
area website here: https://www.fcgov.com/naturalareas/finder/soapstone.

If you have any questions, or would like more information about our work
with Motus, please don't hesitate to reach out to me at
matt.w...@birdconservancy.org.

Thanks,
Matt

*Matthew M Webb*

Avian Ecologist and Motus Wildlife Tracking System Coordinator

*Bird Conservancy of the Rockies*

Motus project #281

970.482.1707 x36 (office)

970.405.7155 (mobile - use this number!)
www.birdconservancy.org