Last night offered a wonderful opportunity to bird watch from my yard in
Centennial (Arapahoe). The evening began early, around 5:40, with a flock
of 8 Common Nighthawks feeding over my yard, University Ave, and the edge
of deKoevend Park. Within ninety minutes, the flock had nearly tripled in
size, with 22 or so nighthawks making great passes over the area. Unlike
swallows, who seem to zip circles over fields, nighthawks seem to take
longer, less direct routes for food. They'd come and go from my yard,
disappearing for a time, then returning, it seemed, endlessly. The flock
closed the evening by lowering their flights -- from a good distance above
the neighborhood cottonwoods and Siberian Elm to just above tree level.

Between the nighthawks' arrival and departure, I spent a little time at
deKoevend Park (not birding). I saw the nighthawks there, too (around
6:30). When I arrived, I encountered three ravens riding a thermal over
baseball fields. A Red-tailed Hawk came through soon after, preening on the
baseball field lights. Swallows fed over the grass and flickers kept
crossing the park.

Later, back home, the neighborhood Red-tails and Swainson's Hawks rode
thermals to incredible heights. The Swainson's noisily called as they
drifted upward. By the time they settled at the peak of their flight, they
were tiny dots and I would never have known they were birds had I not
watched them get there.

Swallows, too, at deKoevend and my house fed lower than the nighthawks. A
single hummingbird, species unknown, perched on the hybrid maple in my
yard, silhouetted against the setting sun.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO