COBirders!

A huge debt of thanks to Quinn Pack (who walked the whole thing with me again —
he say’s “Next year there will be T-Shirts!"), Jayne and George James (who were
part of the walk from Pelican Point to a bit past Shop Creek), my wife (at
12-mile Trail), and a bevy of birders/photographers at Pelican Point (all of
whose names I can’t remember, so I won’t try)!

The 12-mile walk (7-1/2 hours) around the lake netted 59 species.  Considerably
down from the prox 70 last year!  Quinn and I talked a lot about how “odd” was
this year for birds.  But there were some goodies:  Tennessee Warbler, Sora
(SEEN, not just heard!), Franklin’s Gull and Forster’s Tern were, for me, fun
to see. Tennessee Warbler was a life bird!

In the non-birding category, we saw a bat (!) working the area just south of
road, near the turn-off to "12-mile Picnic Area/Dog park” and a coyote in the
“prairie”-like area along Cherry Creek Trail south of the Shooting Range,

I was bummed to learn that Black Tern had been seen just before we arrived at
Pelican Point, and again about 1/2 hour after we left. Such is birding!  On the
other hand, we got to see another kind  of bird — a war-bird — as one of the
last operative B-17 bombers was making its annual visit to Centennial Airport.

BTW, it was 59 degrees when we left Tower Loop, and 91 degrees when we got back
— much like last year.  And the Park was no-where near as crowded this year
last.

Put Labor Day, 2022 on your calendars now (well, I know, Labor Day 2022 IS
already on your calendars . . . . but the Circum-Lake-Cation needs to be there
too!!

Gary Brower
Unincorporated Arapahoe County