This morning at work, Hampden Branch of the Denver Public Library, as I
usually do I was siting in the car in the parking lot listing to the birds
and watching them. I usualy arrive a bit early so this is what I do to
decompress from a tough commute. Today a a supper flock of Bushtits came
flying out of the pine tree into the small chary tree near my car. I
counted as they flew by, and kept count. I got 31 Bushtits, I have never
seen so many in a flock before. I got 20 some before but not this many.
That little line of them, four in a group followed by nothing followed by
four more, kept going. They were heading south in a hurry.
I usual call a group like this a Bushtit Blitz, mostly because it sound
cool, and it really is kinda a blitz. Not an unusual sighing but pretty
good when you are not planing on a major birding trip and just sitting in
the car.
Brian Johnson,
Engelewood CO