Ann,
Yes, Ring-necked Ducks are a common occurrence during the fall, winter and
Spring on Sands Lake.  As for the domestic duck, it is also common for
people to dump their unwanted pets, especially ducks and geese at Sands.
As for the black one that you saw, it could be a Cuyuga, I have not been by
Sands since early last week, but I will take a look tomorrow.  There is a
great variety of waterfowl there, as the lake never freezes all winter, and
it is a common roost site for a number of species.  Both goldeneyes will be
there, along with Redheads and a good variety of dabbling ducks.
Occasionally a rarity will show, such as the long-tailed duck that wintered
there a few years ago.

Preston Larimer