Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) and the Colorado Department of
Agriculture (CDA) are aware of the mortality events that are occurring in
regards to waterfowl (mostly Snow geese) in the NE Region of Colorado and
most of these deaths are tied to Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI).
The 2022 outbreak is continent wide and began in Eastern Canada in December
of 2021. The current variant H5N1 has been circulating since then and is
currently expanding with the onset of cooler weather and fall migration
facilitating the spread.

Currently, the greatest concerns by Federal and State agencies is in
regards to the economic impact to agriculture because the virus is lethal
to poultry resulting in the deaths and depopulation of over 52 million
birds in commercial and backyard settings. The virus is also lethal to many
species of wild birds, including raptors.

In a professional setting I have seen cases firsthand and I too share
concerns for our wintering raptors in Colorado.

Here are some helpful links with more detailed information:

https://ag.colorado.gov/animals/reportable-diseases/avian-influenza

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-disease-information/avian/avian-influenza/2022-hpai

https://wgfd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=cc8c7e8b81f44d0e91c1ad16f54ee81a

Michael C. Tincher