CoBirds:
       Some canvasing the last week or so.

Today:  American White Pelicans are in large numbers at Union Reservoir,
near Longmont.  I counted 135, with more continuing to arrive from the
northeast ever few minutes.   Pelicans are also at Plaster Reservoir and
Alex and Michael's Pond in Broomfield.

Today:  Both Union Reservoir and Lagerman Reservoir have good quantities of
American Avocets, Greater Yellowlegs, and Lesser Yellowlegs.   There are
yellowlegs and avocets at Alex and Michael's Pond in Broomfield also.

Today:  There is a gull at Union (west side) along the shore that is either
a Bonaparte's or a Franklin's - the sun was backlighting it, and I did not
have a scope.  It's unusual to see a Franklin's alone though.

Waterfowl coming and going.   Many of these species are \ were seen in
numerous locations.
Hundreds of Gadwall last week.
Cinnamon Teal
Blue Winged Teal
Green Winged Teal
Bufflehead
Redhead
Canvasback
Ring-Necked Duck
American Coot
Ruddy Duck - at Union, Lagerman, Plaster, Reservoirs
American Wigeon
Northern Shoveler - thousands along the Platte River 3 weeks ago.
Common Merganser
Hooded Merganser - numbers are decreasing now
Common Goldeneye - numbers decreasing
Lesser Scaup - at most locations;  Broomfield had a lot at Plaster,
Brunner, Reservoirs
Canada Goose - flocks breaking up
Cackling Goose - flocks breaking up
Mallard - pairing off
Horned Grebe - two at Plaster Reservoir,  Broomfield

Wading birds:
Great Blue Herons are back in large numbers and already on rookery nest
sites.
Great Egret - Alex and Michael's Pond in Broomfield.

Say's Phoebe's arrived back in February 7th in Broomfield, and numbers are
increasing throughout Weld, Boulder, and Broomfield counties.

Bald Eagle nest sites are all very active.  (Boulder and Adams counties)

Great Horned Owl nest sites (in Boulder mostly) - all have young on the
nests.

While everyone was chasing Bohemian Waxwings, I've been watching eruptions
of Cedar Waxwings behind the Broomfield Public Library, gorging on
crabapples.  Large flocks have been coming in every three or four days -
I'm assuming these are migratory groups.  Same with American Robins - there
are attacking the crabapples like they are famished.

Spotted Towhees (males) are back in good numbers in the foothills.
Steller's Jay's and Magpies are actively nest building.  Flickers are
drumming on your house metal flanges at 6 in the morning - no need to set
the alarm clock.

Several species of wildflowers are blooming on south facing slopes
including Spring Beauties, Wavy Leaf Dandelion, Dandelion, Cranesbill,
Biscuitroot,  Desert Parsley, mustard species, and others.  Blooms can be
used as timing events for the arrival of certain bird species.

Temperatures are set to rise rapidly next week.  Wonder how this will
affect migration in Colorado?   And maybe the snakes will be out soon? - I
can hardly wait.  :)

John T (Tumasonis),  Broomfield CO