Dinosaur Ridge - Denver Field Ornithologists
Colorado, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 02, 2023

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture              14             17            375
Osprey                       4              5             57
Bald Eagle                   1              2             53
Northern Harrier             0              1             31
Sharp-shinned Hawk           5              6             83
Cooper's Hawk                7             19            243
Northern Goshawk             0              0              9
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk           19             21            146
Red-tailed Hawk              6             13            454
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Swainson's Hawk              7              8             43
Ferruginous Hawk             0              0             54
Golden Eagle                 1              2             39
American Kestrel             2              6            364
Merlin                       2              3             25
Peregrine Falcon             1              1             19
Prairie Falcon               0              0              5
Mississippi Kite             0              0              0
Unknown Accipiter            2              2             13
Unknown Buteo                0              0              5
Unknown Falcon               0              0              1
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              1              3

Total:                      71            107           2022

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 13:45:00
Total observation time: 5.75 hours

Official Counter:               Carol Cwiklinski

Observers:        Janet Peters

Visitors:
Thanks very much to Janet, who left a red-necked grebe on her field trip to
help me on the ridge. She arrived in record time. Several visitors stopped
by today including Ed Imatani and Barbara Banks. Matt Lee and his dog spent
several hours on the ridge and was a great help with spotting and
identifying birds. He and Janet had lots of aircraft topics to discuss.

Weather:
Weather today was very pleasant, comfortable temperatures, good cloud
cover, and a light breeze from the SE. The haze was very heavy leaving
clear visibility at six km. Winds shifted to the NE in the 1200 hour.
Storms began developing with the wind shift, eventually producing
precipitation to the west and south of the ridge. We ended the count early
due to threat of rain and thunderstorms.

Raptor Observations:
I arrived a bit early to quiet skies for the first twenty minutes then the
flow of migrants began. Birds flew along the western ridge, directly
overhead, and eye level on the east. Small kettles formed of TV and BW west
and over the ridge. I had no observer helping me and the volume of birds
moving kept me busy for more than two hours. It is likely I missed some of
the migrants while identifying the rest. I’m not sure what changed but
just when help arrived, the flight slowed.

Non-raptor Observations:
Bullock’s Oriole was the star of the passerine show today, along with
displaying spotted towhees and a rock wren. We located elk grazing on Green
Mountain. We had two interesting aircraft, including a Kmax helicopter
working long line transports at Matthew’s-Winters Park.

Predictions:
Tomorrow weather is predicted to be warmer with a possibility of storms in
the afternoon.
Report submitted by DAVID HILL ()
Dinosaur Ridge - Denver Field Ornithologists information may be found at:
http://www.dfobirds.org

More site information at hawkcount.org:
https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=123