As expected with northerly winds that we would capture birds we had banded
yesterday and earlier in the week. Birds will not fly north against a wind
if they do not have to. As one would expect it would expend a lot of energy
to fly into prevailing winds. Twenty-one species of birds captured
including two new species for the season (Magnolia Warbler and Blue Jay).
Birds were once again foraging lower to the ground today. Three Magnolia
Warblers were observed around the banding station. I find that unusual but
maybe they all flew in on the same winds. Interestingly enough, we have
banded seven Ovenbirds and seven Northern Waterthrushes this spring so far.
Who knows what the rest of the spring will bring?

*49 New Birds*
Yellow Warbler-1
Magnolia Warbler- 1
Wilson's Warbler- 1
Northern Waterthrush- 1
Ovenbird- 1
House Wren- 3
Dusky Flycatcher- 2
American Goldfinch- 2
Lincoln's Sparrow- 6
Green-tailed Towhee- 4
White-crowned Sparrow (Gambel's subspecies)- 1
White-crowned Sparrow (Mountain subspecies)- 1
Spotted Towhee- 2
Swainson's Thrush- 16
Gray Catbird- 5
Blue Jay- 1
Brown Thrasher- 1

*17 Recaptures *
Northern Waterthrush- 1
Ovenbird- 1
Lincoln's Sparrow-3
Green-tailed Towhee-1
Swainson's Thrush- 5
MacGillivray's Warbler- 2
Yellow-breasted Chat- 1
Common Yellowthroat- 3

*1 Return *
Female Bullock's Oriole

The banding station will be closed tomorrow. I imagine the birds will not
move north with a NNE wind tonight. Have a good weekend! See you Monday
morning! Stop by if you are in the area.

Julie Shieldcastle
Chico Basin Bird Bander
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies