Hello Markus,

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 4:30 PM, SF Markus Elfring
<elfr...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> I was wondering if the change I'm doing manually could be automated by
>> using cocinelle but I've no experience neither writing semantic
>> patches nor the SmPL language grammar.
>
> I would like to point out a general consideration.
>
> Semantic patches can be developed for some use cases. I find that
> corresponding efforts are only useful if such a generalised patch can be
> applied to a source code base several times.
> I doubt that you want to try it out for a single source code adjustment.
> It might be that a need will appear to perform a transformation once
> more a bit later, doesn't it?

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

I understand the the primary use for cocinelle could be to have
generalized patches that can detect common semantic errors to have a
flexible and extensible static analysis.

In this case I'm interested in a different use case though. I'm doing
a kernel wide change on a core API used by a lot of drivers (~250) so
is a lot of work to do this manually and I can miss a driver when
grepping the code. And even if I manage to do all the manual changes
(I've already changed a bunch of them), I don't have cross-compiler to
at least build test the drivers for every single architecture to find
out if I made a silly programming mistake.

So I think that it is much safer to express the change as a semantic
patch even if the change is going to be made only once, in order to
avoid introducing any build regressions.

Best regards,
Javier