I would like to clarify the possibilities for corresponding software extensions
a bit more.
The Coccinelle software provides also the search operator “question mark” which
denotes code on a specific line as optional.
https://github.com/coccinelle/coccinelle/blob/9b5e00862900b0daadf1819a6894d31544a3ba34/docs/manual/cocci_syntax.tex#L1067

The scope of the special code there is only the marked line so that I see some
software development challenges to pack desired search filters into one line.

* How often do you check the handling for optional parts?

  - Do you find it relevant to check for the assignment of an error code to an
    other variable?

  - Are special constraints needed for additional function calls?

* How are the chances to improve readability and maintainability for SmPL code?

Regards,
Markus