On Tue, 14 Nov 2017, SF Markus Elfring wrote:

> > The problem on the Coccinelle side is that it uses a subdirectory with the
> > name of the semantic patch to store standard output and standard error for
> > the different threads.
>
> It is occasionally good to know such background information.
>

> > I didn't want to use a name with the pid, so that one could easily find
> > this information while Coccinelle is running.
>
> Do you mark these data as “hidden” in the file system?

I don't know what this means.

> > Normally the subdirectory is cleaned up when Coccinelle completes,
> > so there is only one of them at a time.
>
> I find that this can be insufficient occasionally.
>

> > Maybe it is best to just add the pid.
>
> I imagine that the storage algorithm could become better configurable
> besides the parameters “--temp-files” and “--tmp-dir”.

The problem is that running multiple coccinelles each with parallelism is
fairly pointless, especially on the same semantic patch.  So the only
people who do it will be those who don't understand how Coccinelle works.
Those people won't realize that they should use such extra options either.

julia