>> https://github.com/coccinelle/coccinelle/blob/19ee1697bf152d37a78a20cefe148775bf4b0e0d/standard.iso#L151
>>
>> It looks like that it should refer to a pointer dereference
>> (according to a view for the semantic patch language).
>> But the really desired meaning might be different for the support
>> of pointer expressions by the isomorphism definition language.
>
> Metavariables have types.  Here X has pointer type.

Our understanding of this software detail seems to match.

But I assume that the asterisk can be treated in a different way by
the isomorphism definition language in comparison to the semantic
patch language.
How much does context-dependent interpretation matter here?

> There is no need for X to match a pointer that is dereferenced.

I got further development imaginations around the places where
you would specify pointer dereferences by metavariables instead of
leaving asterisks in source code search fragments.

Regards,
Markus