>> BAD:!!!!! #define MACRO(name)    snprintf(pg, PAGE_SIZE, %u\n", ptr->name)
>
> If a " is missing then the code can't be parsed and Coccinelle won't do
> anything.

I would appreciate if the error reporting will become nicer.

> But I don't know if this was a bug in the original code

You should probably know also this detail from the initial clarification
request.
https://systeme.lip6.fr/pipermail/cocci/2019-October/006413.html

> or something you have modified;

I copied a bit of questionable source code also for my test approaches.

> you sent another message that did not have this problem.

I needed also further moments to notice related glitches.

> What software situation?

There are various open issues to consider around safe transformations
also around preprocessor code (replacement lists), aren't there?

Regards,
Markus