> Coccinelle could provide an appropriate running time by just ignoring the
> <+... ...+>.  But that seems like a pointless optimization, when the user
> could just not put the <+... ...+> in the first place.

I would like to express a specific SmPL functionality.

> Coccinelle already applies a rule everywhere that it occurs,

This aspect is clear to some degree.

> regardless of whether the two occurrences are in the same function.

Our views can be different also for the discussed use case.

* How much will the requirement for changing selected items
  multiple times matter?

* Are we eventually looking for another clarification also
  in the software documentation?

Regards,
Markus